One skin care tool that many older women have adopted in their fight against aging is the face mask. Because of the nature of the treatment, they are one of the most effective anti-aging products on the market. You will also be happy to know that they only need to be applied once or twice a week. There are loads of really great face masks out there; however, if you want the best results, there are certain ingredients you need to look for. In this article we will be covering face masks essentials for anti-aging and what are the products.
Face Masks Essential For Anti-Aging
Face masks contain a wide range of ingredients, but you will find that anti-aging masks contain many of the same ones, here are some of the most common face masks essentials for anti-aging.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants are great for strengthening and nourishing the skin, they help make signs of aging such as wrinkles and fine lines less noticeable. They also help to even out skin tone and rejuvenate the appearance of skin.
- Toners: Chamomile, rosewater and witch hazel are astringent ingredients that help tighten the pores and make the skin smooth and soft.
- Omega 3s: Fatty acids help the skin retain a youthful and plump appearance, as well as provide nourishment for the skin.
- Green Tea: You will notice that your cheeks will start to become more red than normal as you age. Green tea will help to limit the amount of redness, it also helps to fight environmental stressors such as free radicals that contribute to aging.
- Hyaluronic Acid: This helps to protect the skin at the same time as keep it moisturized. As you age, the skin holds less moisture, and hyaluronic acid helps to retain the extra moisture that it needs.
- AHAs: Also known as alpha hydroxy acids, this ingredient is a favourite for anti-aging products. They help to get rid of dead skin cells so that brighter and newer skin can shine through.
What Are The Products?
There are plenty of anti-aging face masks on the market; however, there are some favourites, these include the following:
Honey and Coconut Mask: This face mask is made out of beeswax, coconut oil, and wildflower honey. All of these ingredients help to restore moisture to the skin. You will notice a definite improvement in the appearance and texture of your skin. This face mask works well for those who feel their skin could do with some revitalization and nourishment. The honey and coconut mask is also good for those with sensitive skin because it doesn’t cause irritation, the mask is very gentle, and your skin will appreciate it.
Purifying Mud Mask: This mask contains a mixture of clays that help to renew and purify the skin. This is good to use when your skin feels extra grimy after working in the yard or going to the gym. After one application, the skin is left feeling totally renewed and clean.
The Benefits of Anti-Aging Face Masks
Face masks are a lot thicker than a topical treatment or a moisturiser and therefore provide more nutrients to the skin. Also, because of the length of time they are left on the skin and the warmth they generate, the pores open easily, and the nutrients can penetrate the skin better. All face masks cleanse the skin, they remove environmental pollutants and debris and excess oil much more gently than scrubs, toners or astringents. Some face masks also unclog the pores and exfoliate the skin which removes the top layer of dead skin to reveal healthy- and fresh-looking skin. Regular exfoliation helps to limit the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines as well as tone and brighten the complexion.
How to Apply a Face Mask
All face masks will come with their own set of instructions; however, in general, application is the same. Just make sure you refer to the packaging before application. In general, they are simple and easy to use, wash your hands before applying the mask and you can either use your fingers or a fan brush for application. Smear an even layer of the mask over your entire face. It is a good idea to have a special bowl and brush for your face masks.
Once the mask has been applied, leave it on your face for around 15 minutes, and then wet a face cloth with warm water and wipe the mask off your face gently. Try not to pull the skin too much when you are wiping. Once you have removed the mask, cleanse your skin as you normally would.
Consistency is key when it comes to using face masks, the more you use them, the better they will work for your anti-aging needs. It is also a good idea to experiment with different products to see which one works best for you.